Thursday, 8 December 2011

Saving the World - Live from Durban! Episode 10: Time is Ticking Away

After almost two weeks, the 17th Conference of the Parties is slowly coming to an end. Even though every single day here has been long and stressful, I have no doubt that tonight and tomorrow night will be sleepless for many people as they try to hammer out a “Durban Declaration”, agree on technology transfer, climate finance and the future of the Kyoto Protocol.

The Mantra here in Durban is clear: The Earth is warming! We need to act now! There is no time to waste!

It became painfully obvious to me that delegates take this mantra serious and really have not a second to spare when I just went to use the bathroom. In utter disgust, I realised that both ladies in the cubicles next to me were busy speaking on their phones! Yuk!

I completely understand that it is urgent that we act now and that we cannot afford to wait any longer... but surely there has got to be time for a two minute toilet break in peace and quiet!

No comments: