After flicking through the first hundred-twenty-eight pages without once feeling the need to look at a page longer than 2 1/2 seconds, one article (if you can call it that when 85% of the page is filled with photos) finally managed to catch my attention. It was called "What would our life be like without Christmas?" and made me realise - oh my god, it's only a week until Christmas!
In the pre- and post-COP17 rush, leave alone the madness of the conference itself, I had completely forgotten about the holidays. Without a chocolate calendar, a Nikolausschuh, leave alone a Christmas tree, any pre-Christmas spirit and cosiness had completely gone past me.
There has been no writing of Christmas cards or buying of presents; no decorating the house with silly Santa Clause figures; no Christmas baking; lengthy discussions about what to have for Christmas dinner (this is normally a hotly debated topic in my family involving an opinion poll) or which church service to attend (with five family members, three churches and seven different sermons throughout the day, without coordination my family would easily run danger of not spending any time together on Christmas eve at all).
So even though Christmas seems very far away, I actually think that it will be one of the best Christmas' ever.
Why?
Well, because on the morning of the 24th I will be on my way to the airport.
Yes, I am excited about spending my Christmas morning at the airport instead of having Christmas breakfast or wrapping presents.
And that’s not because of the excellent atmosphere or coffee at the airport, but because at 10.05am my father and sister will arrive in South Africa! They are coming out here for a ten day whirlwind holiday and I am super excited to see them again!
Never mind that we'll be spending Christmas the South African way (aka with a braai on the beach) and that there won't be any presents or German Christmas treats, I couldn't think of anything else I want for Christmas.
After all, it is supposed to be the time of the year when families and loved ones get together. Or like Brigitte quite poignantly and for once not totally cheesy put it:
"It's the time to reduce distance between people"
Cologne - Cape Town: 9494.76km
Five more sleeps!
Five more sleeps!
No comments:
Post a Comment