Sunday, 15 March 2015

Only in Africa…


The other day I went to my tailor to pick a few clothes she had fixed for me. When I was about to leave, Nomsa – the owner of the shop – walked in and came towards the counter. She picked up the collection slip I had just handed in, looked up my name and said:

Nomsa:      Johanna?

Me:            Yes, Nomsa, how’re you doing?

Nomsa:      Johanna… you got fat! Have you stopped going to the gym?

Me:            (Facial expression a mix of bafflement, confusion and WTF?!)

Nomsa:      Look at you – you definitely got fat!

Me:            Nomsa, you can’t say that – you’re gonna make me cry!

Nomsa:      Ah… (waives hand), it’s okay – you still look okay…

Me:            (Smiles confused) Good to see you again, Nomsa.

I don’t think there’s many other places in the World where this kind of conversation could have taken place… (and could even be considered a compliment as being curvy is a sign of good health and wealth)

No comments: