Tuesday, 10 July 2012

Of Apples and Trees


When I was younger, my father once showed me an article claiming that the inevitable fate of all girls was to spend their youth fighting with/against their mothers; and to one day wake up and realise that they have become like her.

I guess I'm no exception.

Ever since I moved out from home, I have ever so often caught myself doing things the way my mother does them and adopting habits that I must have picked up from her; I know how she will react in certain situations and find myself reacting the same way; and sometimes even speak in a way that reminds me of her.

An example par excellence showing that we think in the same ways was that we both had taken the blankets from our planes to Buenos Aires...


But fortunately there are still a number of habits we don't share. Some became very useful on our South American adventure - in a bunk bed I like to sleep downstairs, she upstairs, I like to shower in the mornings, she in the evenings - and others would have probably driven us crazy over time - I don't care for take away hotdogs, she doesn't like wasting time on sit-down meals; when I go to bed I want to sleep whereas she wants to chat; she likes to browse through shops, I know I won't buy anything anyway; I can easily walk past kittens and puppies, she likes to play with them...


After a month of traveling together, I feel like I know my mother better. Habits and preferences, fears and passions, happy and sad stories...

A month away has brought us closer together. I can see myself in her and she in me and even though I don't think there is much chance (or danger) that I will one day wake up and realise I have become like her, I will always know that she's in me. 
Maccu Picchu

No comments: