Friday, 13 July 2012

Around the World in 80 Days: Uncomfortable Detours

Squished into a tiny American Airlines seat on the way to Miami, I can't help but wonder how an airline can get away with being so completely and utterly rubbish.

American Airlines has no private TV screen, no sleeping mask, socks or toothbrush and headsets only against a charge. The food - charmingly announced by stewards shouting like market vendors "Chicken or beef" - is terrible and alcoholic drinks have to be paid for. Adding to the comfort and entertainment, my reading light is broken and the seat does not recline...

Sleepy and stuck somewhere between Venezuela and Cuba, I came up with four possible explanations for this shockingly low standard:

  • American Airlines has a monopoly on the route Rio to Miami
  • American Airlines is way cheaper than other airlines flying on this route
  • People have such low expectations of American Airlines, that AA feel they can safely "under-deliver" on them
  • Americans are so patriotic that they would never say anything negative about their national airline regardless of how rotten their experience actually was...
I've got another two hours and a (without a doubt, lousy) breakfast to go, let's see if I can come up with more reasons that could potentially explain or justify this self-inflicted modern day torture courtesy of Armenian... ahem, American Airways.

No comments: