Saturday, 28 January 2012

Laziness 1 – 0 Accuracy

The other day I had the following conversation with a cashier as I was about to pay for an (as it later turned out, poor-quality) towel rail:

Me: “Hello, how are you?”

Cashier: “Fine and you?”

Me: “Well, thanks. Could I have this please?”

Cashier: “That’s R5.75.”

I checked my wallet and saw that I had R5.35 in change and a R100 note. So I handed over the R100 note.
The cashier indicates to give her the coins.

Me: “Sorry, it’s not enough. I only have R5.35 in change."

The cashier nods and I hand over my R5.35. She types R5.35 into her till and gives me 5c change.

Me (slightly baffled): “Thanks...”
Now imagine you’re in a shop in the UK or Germany and just about to pay for your own poor-quality towel rail:

You: “Could I have this please.”

Cashier: “€1.79.”

You: “Sorry! I only have €1.50 in change or a €20 note. Can I give you €1.50?”
And now please try to picture the look on the cashiers face and her reaction...

No comments: