Okay, so I still haven’t got my dressing gown, but in the past 48hours I did very well ticking off these other minor things on my “To Do” list such as finding a car and a flat!
On Monday evening I bought my first ever car! It is not the Toyota Yaris that I would have loved to have, but a beautiful white Ford Fiesta! After looking at hundreds of dealerships and almost buying a Kia, Ewa and I just stopped at one more on the way to meet friends for breakfast. And there it was – calling out my name! And I heard it, test drove it immediately, got a 15% discount and bought it the next day! I think I got a really good deal on the car as it is fairly new with good mileage and all the trimmings. Plus, Ford for some reason has a good resale value out here! So I am very happy and will soon be cruising through the streets of Pretoria in my new baby! Actually, thinking about it, I probably won’t as I won’t be able to afford the petrol anymore… oh well! I have a car! Yeah!
So that was Monday. Tuesday came and it was even better. Our negotiations with the annoying estate agent – Mirinda – were slow and painful. We asked for some minor changes to the flat before signing the contracts and the owner randomly adjusted the prices upwards without agreeing to alter anything. Ewa and I got really frustrated with the whole situation and Mirinda in particular so that we decided to go back to an option we had turned down weeks ago. And as I called the agent, she said she had a place for me in San Marino. Not knowing where it was, I googled it and accidentally stumbled across this fully furnished flat, which escaped us so far as it is actually out of our price range… But there it was! In the complex that we fell in love with, looking beautiful, available immediately and with a maid included in the rent! A viewing was arranged and, nervous as little kids before Christmas, Ewa and I checked it out - And it looked just like the pictures! A beautifully decorated two bedroom apartment with a new kitchen, great pictures, a huge TV, cutlery and plates, duvet covers and flowers – everything was already there! One look and we knew we wanted it (did I mention that it comes with an X-Box, which neither Ewa nor I know how to use, too?) and asked for contracts immediately. After a painful day of waiting and hoping that nothing would get in the way, we just signed the contracts and will move in on Sunday! Yipee!!! I am sooo incredibly excited and glad and relieved that things worked out in the end! No more looking for furniture, buying tin openers and vacuum cleaners! This is going to make my life so much easier and I am so glad that we found the place! It really was last minute as we were ready to sign for the other place. And the best part will be to call Mirinda tomorrow and tell her, that her incompetence and the owner’s greed meant that she will have to start back at square one! Finding a new tenant for the place until Sunday should not be easy. But I have no sympathy – she was just so utterly rubbish!
Anyway, so I am looking forward to calling her, moving in, picking up my car – finally setting down! This week has been amazing and I seem to have pooled all the luck in the world *g*
We will have a big pool party braai this weekend to celebrate everything! This sounds so much better than buying furniture and supervising builders installing washing machines! Wohooo!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment