Friday, 18 January 2019

The Quiet Before…

A popular saying claims that the Inuit have over 80 words for “snow”. While this is more myth than reality, I’ve recently come to learn a lot more words for snow and snow-related conditions that I ever though I needed. The reason for this is of course that New York is preparing for... “Snowmargeddon”.

The papers have kindly provided us with overly detailed reports and apparently, tomorrow we should be prepared for a “a slick morning commute before more snow, sleet and freezing rain strike” and that “the snowfall will be a prelude to the nasty winter storm expected to slam the city this weekend”. Up to 30cm of snow are expected to fall over the coming days. Could be wonderful… could be a disaster. 

Best case
Together with the snow, we’re also expecting a 15°C drop in temperatures – from 1°C today to -14°C on Sunday. This might be the coldest temperatures I’ve ever been exposed to, but to some of my friends this is still quite mild. Day-time temperatures of -20°C (or about -4°F as I’ve recently learnt) are considered kinda bad around here and as long as the snow isn’t at least up to your bellybutton (!!!), it’s nothing to complain about.

I have a feeling that this weekend, I’ll be thinking back to last winter when I was eating lunch outside in Rome in 20°C sunshine, when my friends here were shivering in said -20°C.

Worst case...

No comments: