Monday, 14 January 2019

Stuffed

To make good on my New Year’s Resolution of making more use of New York’s incredible cultural scene and to walk off a big brunch, I met a friend at the Natural History Museum. 

We strolled through the different halls, past gigantic dinosaur skeletons, birds of New York, Aztek fertility masks and exhibitions portraying the lives and customs of our ancestors. And then, by pure chance, we stumbled into the Africa hall. Welcomed by a life-size herd of elephants, we walked past displays of African animals: lions, kudus, buffalos, hippos, zebras and even spring- and blesbok. 


Museum vs Reality

How strange to see displays of these beautiful animals, which once were such a normal part of my life, in a museum with name tags and descriptions.

As I indulged in beautiful memories, I couldn’t help but feel incredibly privileged to have seen all these animals up close in real life. And I couldn’t help but miss Africa – the people, the animals, the feeling of endless space and being able to see as far as the eye can reach without anything obstructing the view. 

Museum vs Reality

No comments: