Friday, 17 April 2015

Same same...


When speaking to future colleagues at the World Food Programme about moving to Rome, I couldn't help but notice that they all seemed to want to prepare me for a major culture shock: basically living in Rome - and I quote - would be like living in a third world country. Windows and doors don't shut, everything is extremely bureaucratic and takes ages, public services don't work, people hassle you in the streets... You name it – it’s a disaster!

While I thought their concerns were very sweet (and a little strange...), I was a little baffled by all the "petty" things they went on and on and on about... I mean - who really needs mail delivered more than once a month?

And the more I thought about it, the more I realised how much South Africa had changed me over the years and turned me into a much more relaxed and laid back person (admittedly of a low base).
  • These days I no longer plan my weekends on Tuesdays.
  • I don't expect to meet people at the agreed time but merely within three hours of that. In fact, I don't expect anything to be on time.
  • I am fine with going back to any official institution eight times to submit the correct forms.
  • I don't really get too upset if the electricity goes out every day for a few hours or if you come home after the gym only to find that the water is out.
  • And I am a little upset if I walk past three random people or stand in an escalator with a stranger and don't get greeted.
Africa has changed me - for the better I hope - and prepared me well for the developing country that is Italy.

No comments: