On my flight from Dubai to Beijing, I sat next to a Chinese couple. In a polite effort to make some small talk, the husband asked me where I was from and I told him that I am German. He then asked whether I was going to China for holiday or to study (which I thought was an interesting option). I explained that I was on holiday, but that I was only going to Beijing to catch a train to Moscow.
He looked confused and noted politely that Moscow was much closer to Germany than to Beijing. Indeed, a very good and perfectly accurate observation.
I tried to explain that I my holiday was a trip on the Transsiberian Railway.
Sadly I don't think he quite understood my explanation or why I would possibly want to do this and will now forever remember me as the strange girl who flew from Germany to Beijing to catch a train to Moscow...
No comments:
Post a Comment