Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Magic Moments

I had been looking forward to my friend Tina's wedding for months. I had been eagerly anticipating watching her walk down the aisle to promise lovely York (a.k.a. Schnuri) to be with him in good and in bad times, in sickness and in health. And I had been excited to be there when she throws the bouquet, when she cuts the cake and when she dances her first dance as Mrs Möllerhenn.

With so many bees in my tummy, I was super well prepared for the big day: I had booked my flights ages ago, decided on my dress weeks in advance and arrived at the airport with hours to spare...

But despite months of excitement and preparations for the big day, when it finally came I was surprisingly unprepared for what was to come. And by that I don't mean the ceremony, the cake cutting or the dance.

No. I was utterly unprepared for a very different moment.

When my friend Julia suggested to go wish the bride well before the ceremony, I was looking forward to it. In the lift, the anticipation of seeing her grew. When we approached the door, there was so much excitement that I had to let a friend enter the room first...

But when I saw Tina in her wedding dress and went over to hug her, those feelings seemed utterly insignificant compared to the joy and the tears that suddenly overwhelmed me.

There are moments that we're looking forward to because we think they are too special to be missed. And there are special moments that despite all anticipation and excitement, we did not see coming... And those are the moments that don't just give you goose bumps and make you cry in that very moment, but that will evoke the same feeling for a lifetime. 

Mr and Mrs Möllerhenn

No comments: