The other day I walked past the Häagen Dazs store in Sandton City. I love ice cream and walking past Häagen Dazs, which (in the absence of Ben & Jerry’s) sells the nicest ice cream in South Africa, is really not natural to me.
However, Häagen Dazs charges around R30 for a scoop of ice cream and I think that is too expensive. The problem is fortunately not that I cannot afford it, but rather that I don’t value a scoop of ice cream at €3. Hence I don’t buy it - even if it is the nicest ice cream in South Africa.
And just like the ice cream, there are many things that I enjoy, like or have always wanted to have: blueberries, salmon, a Longchamp Bag, a pair of Timberlands...
After years of study-related poverty, I am fortunate enough to be in a position to afford them. But yet I don’t buy them. And more often than not it is for the same reason: because I don’t value them at the price they cost.
Do I think a pack of berries is worth R40? A piece of salmon at R120? A handbag at R800 or a pair of shoes at R1600?
The answer is easy: No. I do not value them that highly and so simply don’t buy them.
But the other day I fortunately realised that my value-thinking works in both directions: I may value some things less than they cost, but there are a number of things that I value more. The most recent example:
To fly half way around the world to spend 36 hours in Germany before flying all the way back the next evening. But to be there when my friend Tina says “I do!”
However long the flight, however much it cost... Some moments are too precious to miss. They are simply invaluable.

No comments:
Post a Comment