Tuesday, 22 November 2011

The Times They Are A-Changing

Exactly one month ago, on the 22nd of October 2011, after twenty-two months of planning, the big day had finally come: My good friend Nic married his long term girlfriend Angelique in a beautiful ceremony in the Kwa Zulu Natal Midlands.

Nic and I sat next to each other at the Treasury and I had followed every step of the process: from first thinking about getting married, to asking Angelique's father for his blessing, to choosing the ring and planning the proposal; from the different venue options, the guestlist and seating arrangement to the catering and wine selection - there was not one step of the wedding prep that I had not discussed with Nic in our daily coffee break.


Needless to say I had been looking forward to the day for a long time and was incredibly exited to be there when Nic and Angelique became husband and wife.

And of course it all turned out perfectly: the bride was beautiful, the groom speechless when he saw her walk down the aisle, the priest surprisingly personal and funny, the wedding cup cakes delicious and the speeches eye watering.


As I watched Nic and Angelique dance their first dance as a married couple, I couldn’t help but think about how much times had changed!

Three out of the four couples on my table were either engaged or already married; many owned their own house or flat and a couple of wedding guests already had children.

Most of my friends at home are in stable long term relationships and I am ready and prepared to find out that they have gotten engaged. And a couple of weeks ago, my baby sister – all grown up now – didn’t just want to discuss boyfriends with me but also mention that “Nanna… I really want to be an aunt!” Well good for you!


There is certainly no point denying that times are changing and I had actually found the best proof for that hours before Nic and Angelique were stumbling across the dance floor. To my surprise, I found it in a toyshop.

Surrounded by all the toys of my childhood, I got very nostalgic and fondly thought back to the times when I spent hours enacting stories in my doll house and created caravans out of Lego. But among hand puppets, marbles and board games, I also found one toy that proofed to me that times are changing.

As the good doll mother that I was, I used to cook my dolls meals and this toy kitchen really made me “Ohhh!!!” and think back to those days...


But just one aisle later, I found myself uttering an entirely different “Oh?!?” as I stumbled across this toy:


What better proof that times are changing and I am getting (not older but only) wiser can there be than kids who nowadays no longer cook their dolls dinner, but microwave it?

No comments: