Wednesday, 1 December 2010

Jesus Christ Super Star

Together with a bunch of boys in tracksuit bottoms, girls in belt-like skirts, and women wearing every item of jewellery they possesses, I walk into a massive convention centre-like building. Neon signs point to the kids’ play zone, the cafeteria, the auditorium and the bathrooms. I follow the blinking sign to the auditorium and a friendly usher guides me to my seat. The auditorium is a mix between a cinema and a concert venue: the chairs are like the ones in cinemas and there are three massive screens in the front; but there are drums, piano and microphones on a stage and smoke and strobe create an era of excitement and anticipation.

Once the auditorium has filled up, the lights are dimmed and group of people step onto the stage and start to play. Cameras follow their every move and project it together with karaoke-like lyrics on the big screens. People sing, dance, clap and waive their hands.

After three songs, the band stops and a guy introduces himself as the Master of Ceremonies. He welcomes everyone, thanks us for coming and says that they had over 2000 guests this weekend already.

After a short video clip summarising events of the past week and advertising upcoming ones, the MC announces that a collection will follow. He encourages us to give generously and that it was not a problem (or excuse) if we had no cash – there were credit card facilities outside and we could also make electronic transfers. The doors are locked and guarded while the money is collected...

The MC then introduces the speaker for the evening, who has come all the way from Australia to talk to us about... “How to Build The Church of God”.

Ah... what?

“How to Build The Church of God”???

Seriously?

Yes, seriously!

I am not in a rock concert or theatre performance - no, I am attending the Sunday evening service of the Rivers Church in Johannesburg! And I am confused, baffled and in utter disbelief about what I am experiencing!

In a lovely Power Point Presentation and using a chain saw (!) as a prop saw, the priest tells us about the “Seven Power Tools To Build God’s Church”. In case you’re wondering, the tools are: Love, Friendliness & Hospitality; Serving; Worship; Prayer; Protecting the Unity; Reaching Out and Giving!

His speech is very catchy and easy to follow - certainly easier than the sermons in my church in Germany! Altogether, the Rivers Church is very modern: ignoring the laser show and the karaoke, there is no cross, no kneeling, no prayer, no Holy Communion. The only element that I recognise from many church visits in Germany is that the congregation is asked to shake hands. In my church this is called to “give each other a sign of peace”, but in the Rivers Church I think it is merely to say “Howzit!”

When the priest announces the final prayer for the day, a lot of people get up and leave. I guess avoiding traffic is more important than getting God’s blessing... But then again, the final prayer is really only a “moment of quiet” during which we close our eyes, lower our heads and listen to the priest talk about all the things we should be grateful for. After he has reminded us about them, the priest again points out that donations can also be made after the service (or did he say after the show...?!).

We can even decide what we want the money to go towards: A Donations Card is in the front of my chair and I can choose between paying for guest prayers expenses, up-keeping of the church, various initiatives and - oh yes – helping the poor!
One of the initiatives sounds particularly strange to me: The Rivers Church is collecting money to build a new church in... Switzerland!

Switzerland? Really? Not Burundi or Haiti. Out of all places – Switzerland?

But it’s true: people in Johannesburg are asked to donate 10% of their income (this is emphasised several times) to build a church for the people in Switzerland - after all, they really need help from South Africa!

Before leaving, the MC requests all new people like me to fill in the Visitor’s Response Card and let the Rivers Church know which aspect of my experience was particularly great; whether I had previously made a commitment to Christ; and whether I would like to be included in the mailing list...

Hmmm, let me think about that one...


No comments: