Monday, 19 July 2010

One in a Million!

18 months ago I came to South Africa to start a new life, a new job and… this Blog!

Given that I was about to move to a different continent and regular catch-up coffees and calls would become a bit more difficult, writing a Blog seemed like a nice way to stay in touch with friends and share photos and stories without spamming inboxes with round mails.

I was obviously determined to keep “Jo in Africa” up and running, but the odds were never good:

While a new Blog is born every 25 seconds, making it 100 000 births a month, the rates of infant mortality are incredibly high and the most Blog Babies have little chance of surviving! The vast majority only ever receive one entry and around 70 per cent are abandoned within the first month of creation. Out of the remaining 30 per cent, many Blogs are not updated on a regular basis and sooner or later die a lonely death in cyber space… The average life expectancy is a mere 126 days!

So who would have actually thought that I’d manage to feed my Blog with regular posts and keep it alive for so long…?! Certainly not me!

Initially, the Blog was mainly to stay in touch with you guys and tell you about my life in South Africa. It could probably be best described by Wikipedia’s definition of “web-logs”:

“Personal blogs are a diary or commentary by an individual. They are written for nano-audiences and mainly of interest to family and friends.”

But over the past months, I think this Blog has grown up, evolved and become much more than a diary or letter. It now matches the second part of the definition:

“Blogs often become more than a way to just communicate; they become a way to reflect on life, or works of art. Personal bloggers usually take pride in their Blog posts, even if their Blog is never read.”

So in that sense, I do not want to encourage you to stop reading but rather thank you all for following my Blog for now – 100 posts!

Happy Birthday, Jo in Africa!

No comments: