The other day I went to the WFP office to get some help with my computer. Aside from Leroy, our IT manager, there was no one there - it was almost spooky. Recently renovated, the office had barely been used and there was no sign that people had ever sat at their new desks.
As Leroy was fixing my computer, I wandered through the empty office. After a year of working from home - from dining and party tables, nightstands and stools propped up on desks, floor and sofas – it dawned on me that I might finally have a good alternative. Or thirty-two alternatives.
As Leroy was fixing my computer, I wandered through the empty office. After a year of working from home - from dining and party tables, nightstands and stools propped up on desks, floor and sofas – it dawned on me that I might finally have a good alternative. Or thirty-two alternatives.
Thirty-two brand new, height adjustable tables with no one there to claim them. So I did what any sensible person would do: I scooped around for the best office. I settled on a corner office with panorama views over the East River, three desks, and a media station for interviews and fancy looking yet real Zoom backgrounds. For two weeks now, I’ve been working the traditional way and I have to say – it’s great!
On my first day, I arrived and – as you did back in the olden days – wanted to make a cup of tea. I looked around but only saw one of these horrible Keurig coffee machines that makes tea that smells and tastes of coffee. But it didn’t work. So I snooped around some more and found a kettle, but that didn’t work either (I am starting to think that I’m just not meant to touch or operate electronic devices).
I asked Leroy and he told me to “just do it the traditional way”.
I went to the kitchen to see if I’d missed a stove top but couldn’t find one. Confused I went back to Leroy who took pity on me and came to the kitchen, where he pointed at a device next to the fridge:
The microwave.
Yes, of course, the traditional American way of boiling water: Heating it in the microwave.
On my first day, I arrived and – as you did back in the olden days – wanted to make a cup of tea. I looked around but only saw one of these horrible Keurig coffee machines that makes tea that smells and tastes of coffee. But it didn’t work. So I snooped around some more and found a kettle, but that didn’t work either (I am starting to think that I’m just not meant to touch or operate electronic devices).
I asked Leroy and he told me to “just do it the traditional way”.
I went to the kitchen to see if I’d missed a stove top but couldn’t find one. Confused I went back to Leroy who took pity on me and came to the kitchen, where he pointed at a device next to the fridge:
The microwave.
Yes, of course, the traditional American way of boiling water: Heating it in the microwave.

No comments:
Post a Comment