In New York in summer, temperatures rise to scorchingly hot highs during the day and even at night the city doesn’t really cool down much. And even though Americans are obsessed with air-conditioning, for some weird reason they all use the old, chunky window ACs that are not particularly efficient and incredibly noisy (they are so loud that I’m actually concerned about getting hearing damage from being exposed to them - seriously!). During the day, other sounds can push the AC’s noise into the background, but at night it’s hard to ignore leaving you with the choice of having it hot and quiet, or cool and noisy. Lovely.
I often opt for the latter and as a result have not been sleeping that well over the past weeks. But in addition to not sleeping well, I’ve also not been able to sleep very long. This is partially because I simply don’t go to bed early enough: As the day ends, the air becomes slightly cooler and temperatures perfect for sitting outside and drinking a glass of white wine. And if you are in good company, things can easily get quite late…
But another reason why I’m not getting enough sleep is this…
And because I realise what a real luxury problem this is in the city of sirens, cars and garbage trucks, I wake up early and sleepy – but happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment