Tuesday, 2 October 2018

The One Who Got The Joke


The other day I walked past this sign. My first reaction was to take a photo, send it, wait until it’s been delivered and quickly follow up with a word.

This time, I got as far as taking the picture, but then I paused and put my phone away. 
 
Things had changed – they had gotten muddy. Or clear.

I always thought that there are two moments when a relationship between two people fundamentally changes:

The first kiss creates a whole new intimacy. It opens up new looks, new words and ways of communicating, a new sense of caring and new touches to new parts of the body. Within seconds you stop being friends and start being something special.

The other moment happens when you separate from a partner. All that was gained since the first kiss, all the time spent together, all the memories, the jokes, the small rituals and elements that made your life together slowly fade away. They lose their innocence, their importance, and their sense of reality. They become stories less told or memories you’re not allowed to have anymore because they might hurt someone else.

They become pictures not sent, because the one who got the joke is no longer there.

No comments: