Wednesday, 5 September 2018

Of Time and Tennis

Despite having lived in a fair number of countries to date, this is the first time that I’m actually living in a different time zone.

On paper, the six hours between Europe and New York may not sound too bad, but in practice it means that communicating with people in Europe becomes difficult: My mornings are stressful as I wake up to dozens of e-mails and early morning calls. When Europe finishes its working day, I’m in the middle of mine. And by the time I’ve closed my computer, most of Europe is peacefully asleep and no longer interested in chatting with me. At times, one can feel a bit disconnected living here.

At other times, this is just the perfect place to be. Right now, for example.

The US Open are under way and have treated the occasional tennis enthusiast to some outstanding matches, especially on the men’s side. Finally, one advantage šŸ˜‰

Trying to make the most of this opportunity, I looked into getting tickets for the tournament last week and was shocked that the cheapest tickets started (!) at USD800. I guess the fact that I’m still shocked about outrageous prices in NY means I haven’t fully arrived yet…

PS: Fortunately, TV’s are (like everything else in the US) rather large, so I quickly got over it!

PPS: Gotta go, 5th set starting – c’mon Thiem!

No comments: