Wednesday, 18 July 2018

New Girl meets Yes Man

I can’t quite believe it, but it’s already been 100 days since I moved to New York.

One of the benefits or side-effects of being new in town and trying to build a new life is that you say yes to everything. When someone invites you to something – anything – you go. No matter if you’re interested or not.

On my first weekends in New York, I might have gone to an event at the New York Public Library or a German social event on Friday night. On Saturday morning, I might have joined a friend for an Urban Fitness League meeting and finish the day at a picnic of people I’d met through friends of friends of friends... and who felt sorry for me all alone in the Big Apple. On Sunday, I might have gone to aJapanese festival in the botanical gardens or watch a cultural parade in town. And while I don’t think I’ll ever go to an Urban Fitness League meeting again (even though I don’t mind watching big guys with six packs flex their muscles), it is fun to see a whole new world that you wouldn’t usually see. 


What I also like about being new in town is that life throws you together with people who you would otherwise never become friends with. Like Jasmina, a Slovenian girl who spent the last ten years married to a Japanese guy and living in Guam. She’s into spiritual healing and dreams off spending her next vacation with Native Americans to experience and learn all about Sweat Lodges. I don’t think we could be any more different and I’m 100% sure that if we hadn’t by some strange coincidence ended up living together, we would have never spent more than 5 minutes talking to each other. But when New Girl meets Yes Man – weird and wonderful things happen.





No comments: