Sunday, 15 April 2018

Welcome to NY

One of the first things I saw upon landing in NY was this sign:


What a lovely welcome, I thought, and felt excited to become part of and get to know the city. But only a few metres later I realised that New York would be full of surprises, but that not all of them would be happy ones.

When I went to get a trolley for my luggage, I saw that there was a USD 6 rental fee for the trolley. Upon asking whether this was a deposit or fee, a friendly airport official told me that “Once you put it in there, it’s gone and ain’t coming back”.

This was a good reminder that there really is no such thing as a free lunch, especially not in NY, and that if you want something – anything – you better be prepared to pay for it. Needless to say I did not to spend USD 6 to pay for the trolley, but decided to drag my luggage the 150metres to the exit...

No comments: