Thursday, 6 October 2011

The Thin Line Between Romance and Ruin

A year has 365 days. In South Africa, the sun shines on at least 364 of them.
Cloudy and rainy days are rare out here and that is probably why I enjoyed last Sunday so much: clouds covered the sky all day long, it was grey and windy and reminded me… of home!

In the beautifully calm and content mood, that only a hot shower on a rainy day can put you in, I spent my evening having a lovely candlelight dinner, watching the sky light up with purple flashes and listening to the sound of the wind and the rain.

Little did I know, that while I was enjoying a romantic evening, only ten kilometres from my house, people were fighting for their lives in the very same weather that I got so much pleasure from.

The next day, I heard on the radio that two tornadoes had swept through Johannesburg. In less than five minutes, the storms, which reached up to 250km/h, had killed two children, injured 166 people, destroyed 558 homes and made 2790 of South Africa’s poorest people homeless.

I couldn’t believe it! How was it possible that I was so close to a deadly tornado and yet completely missed it? Unbelievable!

But looking at the pictures of the destruction the tornado has caused, I cannot say that I am upset that I missed it…



I wonder if this was the one thing she would have chosen to safe from the storm...

No comments: