Friday, 3 July 2009

Being Consequent

After the legendary party on the new St Nikolaus day on the 6th of June, Christmas season had officially started! My friends initially thought that I was crazy, but nothing beats Christmas when it is cold and dark outside and so they soon jumped on the boat and adapted the new trend. “Christmas in Winter” has even become the new advertising slogan of one of South Africa’s leading retailers. And while I don’t want to claim full credit for that, I do see myself as a new trendsetter :)

So it was clear that on Christmas day on the 24th something special had to happen! Given that Christmas fell on a Wednesday and is supposed to be a quiet celebration, Ewa and I decided to invite some friends round for a traditional Christmas dinner!
We decided to make it just the way we have Christmas at home and so Ewa made the starter that she traditionally has, we agreed on the English main course and my family’s traditional desert… and here’s our Christmas dinner menu:

Starter
Barszcz
(Traditional Polish beetroot soup with cabbage and mushroom dumplings)

Main Course
English Roast
(Roast Chicken with roast potatoes and a selection of seasonal vegetables)

Desert
Fruit Salad
(A selection of fruit served with ice cream or cream)

With a little with a little help from a friend (thanks Liz and thanks again to your Dad for introducing me to caramelised carrots, I will be eternally grateful :)) I made my first ever roast chicken and even though I had very little clue what I was doing, it turned out absolutely delicious!
So listening to Christmas music, with lots of candles lit and some left-over decoration from the party, we all sat around our couch table (unfortunately the dining table only sits two … so Christmas even had a little Japanese touch) and celebrated a wonderful Christmas!

And because you can only have Christmas once a year (an official rule, no messing with Christmas – haha!), Ewa and I decided to finalise our plans for December holidays and book a trip to Uganda! So when you will start to feel all festive, I will be trekking through the jungle, watching gorillas in the mountains, visit the source of the Nile and enjoy the nightlife in Kampala!

No comments: