Monday, 16 March 2009

Time Out

Thinking back of my time at university, I clearly remember the incredible pressure that would build up before exams and the great anticipation of it all being over! While being stuck in the library for weeks without end, nothing used to keep me going more than the idea that there was this day X when I would get my freedom back: When I would be able to enjoy the sweet joys of doing f*** all! But every time this day came, it turned out to be a major disappointment! Everyone was always too tired to do something exciting straight afterwards and after a few days of having lie-ins, enjoying guilt- and pointless TV shows and having wasted hours on Facebook, the realisation hit me: It gets quite boring without something to do!

And now after leaving university and exams behind me for good, I found myself in the same situation again! I am sure my permanent winging has made it obvious to the least attentive of you that the past weeks have been rather stressful. And it seems like this, combined with a trip to the cinema - where I was not only bored (Benjamin Button), but also kept deep-frozen – resulted in a slight itch in my throat on Wednesday that developed into a nasty scratching by Thursday. After suffering a few hours at work, Nicky felt sorry for me and sent me home.

So there I was on a Thursday afternoon with not a worry on my mind and all the time in the world. But after I enjoyed those few hours of afternoon trash TV and several cups of tea on the balcony, I found myself slightly bored… not ready to admit it yet, but definitely getting there!

Friday came and I had slept badly and was feeling accordingly. So Nicky ordered me to stay in bed, rest and not come to the office. After a well-deserved lie-in, I felt much better already and was now left with a whole day to waste! A whole beautiful day to spend in whichever way I pleased! But let me assure you - all you people who always talk about how great it would be to do “nothing” - it really isn’t! In fact, it sucks! By 10am I had watched a movie, run some errands, checked my mails and prepared myself for a long day of nothing!

I got so bored that I even briefly considered going to work for the afternoon, but then fell asleep in front of the TV, which is the reason why I am now awake in the middle of the night desperate to go to sleep but bright awake! So what lesson do we learn from this? Not only is it boring to be at home when everyone is at work, but you also pay a price for it: on Monday morning I will go back to the office feeling worse than ever because this whole lot of doing nothing has completely screwed up my sleeping pattern leaving me more tired than after a whole week of working – argh!

No comments: